There is no doubt that cannabinoids (CBD) and other hemp extracts have become more popular in recent years. More people have embraced CBD and have delightfully added it to their daily routines. For example, people with insomnia use CBD to reduce high anxiety levels that negatively impact their sleep quality. Furthermore, athletes are using CBD to relieve their muscles of chronic pain and inflammation. Additionally, students have incorporated CBD, using it to improve focus and reduce stress levels
CBD can also be incorporated into creams, lotions, and balms, which are applied to the skin. These products help treat skin conditions such as acne and psoriasis and increase collagen synthesis. Additionally, hemp oil improves skin health by improving skin moisturization and firmness. However, there seems to be a difference between CBD and hemp creams in terms of the formulation. However, they can both be used to improve skin health in different ways. We shall deeply dive into CBD and hemp creams, their possible differences, and their therapeutic effects.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN HEMP CREAM AND CBD CREAM
- CBD cream goes deep into the skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties that treat muscle pains and inflammation. It can also help alleviate arthritis.
- CBD oil is extracted from hemp’s leaves, stems, and flowers, while hemp oil is obtained from hemp seeds.
- Hemp cream is used to moisturize the skin, while CBD cream is much more advanced and can treat skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
HEMP OIL VS. CBD OIL: ARE THEY THE SAME?
Hemp is a plant strain of the cannabis plant. Besides hemp, marijuana is also a plant strain. Both strains contain varying levels of CBD and THC.
According to Crippa et al. (2018), CBD is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid obtained primarily from hemp. THC is also a cannabinoid obtained primarily from marijuana. Therefore, hemp has higher CBD levels, while marijuana has higher THC levels.
Hemp seed oil is extracted from hemp seeds. It is used to make hemp cream, which helps moisturize the skin. Industrial hemp has several uses, such as making textiles, printer ink, and clothes. The hemp seed oil contains many omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, iron, vitamin C, magnesium, and calcium. It can be incorporated into cooking and helps in adding nutritional value to your diet.
Conversely, CBD oil is extracted from the hemp plant’s leaves, stalk, and flower plants. CBD also has various therapeutic properties:
- According to Watt & Karl (2017), CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce muscle pain and inflammation.
- Taylor, Mueller & Sauls (2018) suggested that CBD oil has antiemetic properties that improve stomach and gastrointestinal health.
- According to Dawidowicz, Olszowy-Tomczyk & Typek (2021), CBD has antioxidant properties which remove fine lines and wrinkles.
CBD cream is made from CBD oil, while hemp cream is made from hemp oil
HEMP CREAM VS. CBD CREAM
CBD oil is majorly extracted using CO2extraction. Pressurized CO2 removes essential terpenes and plant waxes, leaving behind a highly pure and potent CBD oil. Hemp oil is usually extracted using alcohol extraction, where essential oils are “pulled out” using butane. Even though CBD oil can be extracted using alcohol extraction, it is not as common in recent years.
CBD and hemp creams can have similar formulations. There are three major formulations used to describe both creams, although the contents vary across the board.
Full spectrum CBD cream contains all cannabinoids, including terpenes and flavonoids. These cannabinoids include CBD, THC, and CBG. However, THC levels are low to prevent any psychoactive effects.
Broad spectrum CBD cream is similar to full spectrum CBD. However, it lacks THC.
CBD isolate contains pure CBD since all other cannabinoids and essential oils have been extracted from it.
Full spectrum hemp oil extract contains a few other parts of the cannabis plant instead of being made from purely hemp oil extract.
It is worth noting that hemp oil does not contain cannabinoids like CBD and THC. Moreover, THC is a psychoactive cannabinoid that causes euphoric effects, which include hyper-awareness, anxiety, extreme relaxation, and delusions. Conversely, CBD may contain traces of THC. As mentioned, full spectrum CBD contains less than 0.3% THC to prevent any psychoactive effects.
USES OF HEMP CREAM
- It helps in reducing inflammation
- It helps in slowing down skin aging
- It helps in offering relief for dry skin
- It helps in skin moisturization
USES OF CBD CREAM
- Helps in treating internal skin issues
- Helps in regulating skin oil production
- Relieves muscle inflammation and arthritis pain
- It can help in healing bruises by accelerating the healing process
- It helps in stabilizing free radicals that cause the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the skin
- Relieves redness of the skin
- Relieves skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis, and eczema
- It helps in improving skin firmness by increasing the synthesis of collagen
HEMP OIL VS. CBD OIL: WHICH ONE IS LEGAL?
The FDA has approved various hemp seed oil products, which can be used as a nutritional additive in foods. As mentioned, it contains high amounts of vitamins B and C, calcium, magnesium, and fatty acids such as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
The FDA has not entirely recommended various CBD oil products. It has only recommended Epidiolex, a drug-infused with CBD oil that is used to treat rare forms of epilepsy
This does not mean CBD oil is illegal. In 2018, Congress passed the Farm Bill, which led to hemp legalization. Therefore, hemp was removed from the legal definition of marijuana. Despite hemp being considered legal under federal law, state governments were required to develop laws regulating the use of CBD in their states. Seventeen states have legalized CBD for medical and recreational use. CBD oil products are legal as long as they contain less than 0.3% THC
HOW TO BUY QUALITY CBD AND HEMP CREAMS
With the popularity of hemp and CBD creams, it is important to purchase high-quality products. A rising number of manufacturers also claim to sell high-quality CBD and hemp creams. So, what should you look out for?
- Read customer reviews
- Confirm whether the product has undergone intensive independent third-party testing
- Confirm whether the hemp plant is the US grown
- Read the product label and ensure that the product does not contain harmful substances such as heavy metals and pesticides
CBD and hemp creams have become the go-to products for improving skin health. They are organic and therefore do not present various side effects compared to inorganic skin creams. CBD creams are made from CBD oils extracted from the hemp plant’s leaves and flowers. Conversely, hemp creams are made from hemp oil extracted from hemp seed. Hemp oil does not contain cannabinoids but has numerous vitamins and minerals that have several nutrients.
CBD creams help alleviate joint pains, reduce inflammation and skin redness, and help heal bruises. Hemp creams help moisturize the skin, improving skin firmness and slowing down skin aging. However, CBD oil also has the same therapeutic properties offered by hemp creams and much more.
Crippa, J. A., Guimarães, F. S., Campos, A. C., & Zuardi, A. W. (2018). Translational investigation of the therapeutic potential of cannabidiol (CBD): toward a new age. Frontiers in immunology, 9, 2009
Dawidowicz, A. L., Olszowy-Tomczyk, M., & Typek, R. (2021). CBG, CBD, Δ9-THC, CBN, CBGA, CBDA and Δ9-THCA as antioxidant agents and their intervention abilities in antioxidant action. Fitoterapia, 152, 104915.
Taylor, B. N., Mueller, M., & Sauls, R. S. (2018). Cannabinoid antiemetic therapy.
Watt, G., & Karl, T. (2017). In vivo evidence for therapeutic properties of cannabidiol (CBD) for Alzheimer’s disease. Frontiers in pharmacology, 8, 20.