Do you want to have soft, long, and healthy hair? Then make coconut oil your close friend. It is good for all hair types. It is usually white and melts to form a colorless liquid. Coconut oil is produced from the ‘meat of the coconut. It Is usually white and melts to form a colorless liquid.
Coconut oil has useful oils and antioxidants that are particularly good for your hair. The oils improve the texture, repair the hair damages daily and enable your hair to grow healthy
Important tips that you should know when using coconut oil
There are useful tips that you should know and apply when using coconut oil for superb results on your hair. They are as follows;
Warm the oil first; it is easier to use coconut oil after it has been warmed. Put a bowl teaspoonful of the oil in the bowl then in a half-filled container of water and leave it for a few minutes. Don’t use a microwave when warming it because it will be dangerously warm.
You should apply it lightly: when used in large quantities, the coconut oil forms build-up thus becoming heavy for the hair strands. The hair may also have a dull and greasy appearance. To prevent this be applying small amounts of the oil while massaging your scalp from the mid-section towards the edges.
You should not clog your scalp: some people apply the oil directly to the skin to reduce dryness while others are struggling with irritation and clogged pores. You should be cautious when using the oil. It is also advisable to consult hair-care experts to help you find suitable oil for your scalp.
You should use shampoo twice: washing your hair twice using shampoo will help you remove the clogged coconut oils completely.
Blend the coconut oil with other hair beauty products: adding essential oils such as; lavender oil adds extra beauty to your hair. You can also add natural ingredients such as avocado, yogurt, lemon juice, and honey for better results.
You should be applying the oil at night on dry hair: coconut oil takes lots of time to be absorbed by the hair. If you use it in the morning your hair will look greasy.
Lastly, you should liquefy your coconut oil if it solidifies up again by putting a little amount of the oil on your palms and then rub your hands together.
How to use coconut oil
You might be wondering in what ways you will be using coconut oil. Below are various ways that you can use it:
You can use it as a conditioner: after washing your hair with shampoo, comb your hair using coconut oil.
Can be used as a hair mask: scrub coconut oil on your hair overnight or during the day and leave it over for a few hours then wash it out.
You can apply coconut oil for a few minutes through your hair for it to act as a pre-wash hair protector.
You can also use it as a scalp protector. Rub the oil throughout your hair as you massage your head into your scalp overnight then wash it in the morning using the shampoo.
Note that the amount of oil you use depends on the length and type of hair. The longer the hair the more amount of oil you use. If your hair is short and fine, you’ll need a teaspoon amount of the oil.
There are various types of coconut oil. Most people prefer to use unrefined oil. However, both unrefined and refined have similar moisturizing characteristics.
Pros and cons of coconut oil
Pros of the coconut oil
Many people wish to have long and shiny hair. However, the hair is always exposed to harsh environments during styling, grooming, harsh weather that ends up damaging it.Coconut oil will help you in various ways:
- By moisturizing your hair and reducing breakage. However, you should note that you shade 50-100 strands of hair daily since some become old and weaken up thus that should not worry you.
- It protects your hair from loss of proteins when your hair is wet
- Coconut oil adds a sweet fragrance to your hair on top of the shampoos thus being a bonus.
- It also has fewer chemicals thus helping keep good natural hair and minimize the damage effects on the hair.
- Coconut oil has antibacterial properties. This will help in treating fungal infections such as ringworms on the scalp when used as a conditioner.
- It prevents your hair from being damaged by the environment and weathers such as sun and wind, and smoke. Therefore, you should learn how to
- Prevents lice: It is proven that you will reduce the chances of your hair being infected by lice when coconut oil is mixed with anise hair spray.
- Acts as a sunscreen: UV rays are harmful to your hair. Coconut oil has a sun protection factor of 8, this helps in filtering the sun rays thus protecting your hair from sun damages.
- Prevents hair loss: When you comb and style your hair frequently, you will end up damaging the hair shaft. The oil will help you keep your hair in good condition by preventing hair loss.
- You can also consume coconut oil since it is rich in nutrients that are good for your hair growth
Cons of coconut oil
Despite the numerous advantages that coconut oil has, it also has some disadvantages. For example, when one uses excess oil, you might end up having a build-up of oil on your scalp and hair.
This makes your hair greasy and dull even when having fine hair. You should use a small amount then rub the coconut oil evenly throughout your hair from the mid-section towards the edges.
it is so impressive how people get quality results so quickly after introducing coconut oil to their hair. There are some cases whereby the hair sheds after using coconut oil. However, coconut oil does not treat the loss of hair caused by baldness. You should not try using coconut oil based on wrong information.