Arthritis is an umbrella term that refers to chronic disorders that affect the joints, leading to joint pains, stiffness, and inflammation. CBD interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS) to help alleviate arthritis symptoms such as pain in the joints, swelling, discomfort, and difficulty in movement. By interacting with the ECS, clinical trials and studies suggest that CBD can best relieve arthritis symptoms because it reduces the patient’s hypersensitivity to pain receptors in the joints. Here is a deeper insight into how CBD oil can help relieve symptoms of arthritis.
Arthritis is a term that essentially refers to the disorder that affects the joints, causing a heightened response to pain stimuli in the joints. The primary symptoms of arthritis include stiffness and joint pains. Other symptoms include inflammation in the joints, irritation, and a reduced range of motion.
Categories of Arthritis
Arthritis can be classified into two main categories, namely:
- Degenerative arthritis – this type of arthritis causes damage to the tissues surrounding the joint. It causes the tissues to degenerate progressively in wear and tear fashion.
- Inflammatory arthritis – this type of arthritis is linked to the immune system. It is an autoimmune disease whereby a dysfunctional immune system mistakenly attacks the joint tissues, leading to inflamed joints and destruction of the joint fluid.
Any arthritis can fall into the two broad categories named above. Some common types of arthritis include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis – categorized under inflammatory arthritis, it is an autoimmune disease that attacks the synovial fluid that cushions and lubricates the joints during movement.
- Psoriatic arthritis – is a type of inflammatory arthritis that commonly affects folks with psoriasis. In this case, the inflammation in the skin affects the joints, eventually leading to arthritis.
- Septic arthritis – this type of arthritis occurs when germs originate from different parts of the body and settle in the joints, causing the synovial fluid to become dysfunctional.
- Spinal arthritis is a common type of arthritis that affects the disc spaces of the lumbar vertebrae, causing gradual wear and tear.
CBD Oil and its Medicinal Value
Researchers are getting attuned to the therapeutic benefits of CBD oil for multiple health problems such as inflammation and chronic pain, which are the key symptoms of arthritis. CBD is the non-psychoactive compound extracted from the Cannabis Sativa plant and linked to many health benefits. For its anti-inflammatory properties, researchers have explored the effectiveness of CBD oil in alleviating pain-causing conditions such as arthritis. But before we look at how CBD can help manage arthritis symptoms, it is crucial to understand the key triggers and scope of symptoms associated with this condition.
Causes and Symptoms of Arthritis
Various reasons and risk factors cause arthritis. But the main ones include:
- Genetics and family history.
- Autoimmune attacks of joint tissues.
- Wear and tear of the joint cartilages.
- Bacterial infections.
- Metabolic abnormalities result in an imbalance in body chemicals.
The two main symptoms that can be linked to arthritis are joint pains and inflammation. Pain in the joint can vary but is common in all types of arthritis. Some arthritic disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus can extend to the organs but are generally characterized by swelling, joint stiffness, itchiness, and aching around the joints. Common symptoms of arthritis include:
- Muscle aches and pains.
- Joint stiffness and difficulty moving the joints.
- Weight loss.
- Itchiness and rashes.
- Difficulty moving around.
- Inflammation in the joints.
Millions of people have arthritis around the world. And whether it is autoimmune or degenerative, arthritis is an aggressive disorder that wears down the joint tissues, synovial fluid, and the areas surrounding the bones, eventually causing less stable joints and loss of mobility in the worst-case scenario.
CBD and Arthritis Diagnosis
Doctors use clinical exams supported by tests like radiology and blood tests. However, the type of test depends on the category of arthritis. Regarding symptoms, all forms of arthritis feature pain. When diagnosed in the early stages, experts say CBD can help alleviate symptoms related to this condition. And even at an advanced stage, the stiffness and muscle pains can be eased using CBD oil.
Why People are Opting for CBD in Alleviating Symptoms of Arthritis
Conventionally, non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) have been used to treat arthritis. But clinical studies suggest that long-term use of prescription medications is tied with side effects such as heartburn, nausea, and vomiting. So, why are people opting for CBD? CBD oil has zero side effects for starters and doesn’t have the mind-altering effects associated with THC in marijuana. Besides, CBD has proven to be successful in alleviating arthritis symptoms such as painful joints and inflammation.
Benefits of CBD Oil for Arthritis
- Experts say the pain, discomfort, and frustration suffered by arthritis patients can drain them mentally, leading to anxiety and depression. Luckily, CBD oil has been proven to be a natural remedy for depression.
- CBD possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-anxiety properties that could help relieve arthritis symptoms such as inflamed joints and chronic pain.
- Arthritis patients are at higher risk of multiple sclerosis and cancer, but CBD has specific properties that can help ease these conditions.
CBD Oil Dosage for Arthritis
Whether you are hooked to a traditional prescription for arthritis or not, it is best to consult your doctor before going CBD. Research has shown that CBD oil can alleviate arthritis symptoms through its interaction with the endocannabinoid system. Once you get the green light from your physician to use CBD, consider the forms it comes in and how effective it can be for the particular form of arthritis. Generally, arthritis patients should best use topical application of CBD oil to apply in specific joints where inflammation and pain are dominant. Besides, experts say CBD is best used alongside other prescription supplements for therapy to be effective.