One of the most prevalent social media barriers to body acceptance is fatphobia. Fatphobia is when people with fat bodies are labelled less powerful, healthy, attractive and successful by the society. With a fatphobic society, people with higher weights develop a fear of being or becoming fat. If you can’t be or become fat unapologetically, chances are you will never accept and love your body. Another social barrier to body acceptance is social media. Let’s face it; most of us take what we see on social media seriously. That is why the pictures of other people’s bodies and lifestyles cause us a host of negative emotions, including rejection, anxiety, failure, shame and embarrassment. Listen, most bodies and lifestyles you see on social media are unrealistic.
What Are the Mental Health Benefits of Body Acceptance?
If you can exist in your body without shame, you are less likely to suffer from depression, anxiety, eating disorders, low self-esteem and body dysmorphic disorder(BDD).
What Are the Most Effective Ways Someone Can Boost Their Body Acceptance?
While the body acceptance journey differs from person to person, some of the strategies you can use to start your journey and stay on track include;
- Avoiding social media accounts that make you feel bad about your body
- Be thankful and appreciative for what your body can do right now
- Tell yourself the negative thoughts about your body are only temporary
What Podcasts Do You Recommend for People Struggling with Body Image and Body Acceptance?
I recommend the following podcasts;
- She’s All Fat: A fat Positive Podcast
- Food Heaven Podcast
- Affirmation Pod
- Fat Girls Club
- Break the Diet Cycle
- Elevate Energy, Soothe Stress, And Peak Performance with The New UNBEETABREW Coffee Sensation - September 21, 2023
- Chef Bob’s Coffee: A Journey Fueled by Passion - July 29, 2023
- Amatera: Redefining Beauty by Embracing Aging Gracefully - June 10, 2023