Selective mutism (SM) is the inability to speak in certain situations, places, or to some people. This anxiety disorder strikes during childhood. However, it can be part and parcel of your adulthood when ignored.
The exact cause of selective mutism is still unknown, making it one of the under diagnosed disorders.
Signs of Selective Mutism
- Frequent failure to speak in certain social settings
- Shyness, withdrawal, or social isolation
- Finding it difficult to maintain eye contact
- Difficulty sitting in crowded or noisy places
The most common treatment for selective mutism includes stimulus fading and medication. The former is mostly used on children while the latter on young adults and older people.
- Global Solutions is a leading company in website design, graphic design, and image retouching - April 14, 2023
- Save every moment – with LET IT CLICK - April 10, 2023
- Nihon Sport Nederland BV: The Journey of a Sports Equipment Manufacturer - April 7, 2023